No, it is not a must, but depends on the specific factors of the divorce.
What used to be called alimony is now called maintenance. The law sets out formulas regarding what the monied spouse (the spouse who earns more money than the other spouse) must pay during the course of the divorce, then at the end of the case, and for how long. Notwithstanding the formulas, the final decision is at the discretion of the judge. These are fact specific issues. Many attorneys will simply bring into court the calculations pursuant to the guidelines set forth in the statute. It is important to remember however that these numbers are always subject to the discretion of the court. These are fact specific issues.
There also have been several times wherein the wife, due to her sense of entitlement or bad legal advice, has been ordered to pay part of her Police Officer Husband’s attorney fees. Do not allow anyone to tell you, whether man or woman, Police Officer or not, the maintenance formulas are what they are and there is nothing I can do about it. These are fact specific issues. In your specific case it may or may not be true. That is what why we have appellate Courts. Unless that person has a complete understanding of the law, the facts of the case, and trial experience, do not let anyone tell you, “this is the law, and there is nothing I can do about it.“
The Court’s decision depends on, among other factors, the length of the marriage, what each spouse earns, their earning potential, tax returns, etc. Moreover, there are many other factors which the Court will consider.